What to wear to your fall family photos
Updated: Sep 26
Crisp leaves, beautiful colours, perfect evening light. Fall is the perfect season for capturing beautiful family moments amid the stunning backdrop of changing leaves and golden hues. The number one questions I get as a photographer is "what should we wear?" and while I am always happy to answer your individual questions prior to a session here are some general tips.
1. Layer Up for Versatility: Fall weather can be quite unpredictable, ranging from chilly mornings to warmer afternoons. Layering is your best friend when it comes to dressing for fall family photos. Start with a comfortable base layer like a long-sleeved shirt or dress. Then, add layers like cardigans, vests, or lightweight jackets. This not only keeps everyone cozy but also allows for flexibility throughout the shoot. This is especially true for children, there is nothing harder to photograph than a cold kid! Neutral coloured mittens and toques can be adorable.
2. Embrace Earthy Tones: Fall is synonymous with rich, earthy tones. Deep reds, burnt oranges, warm browns, mustard yellows, and forest greens are the go-to colors for fall family photos. These shades harmonize beautifully with the autumn landscape and add a cozy, seasonal touch to your pictures. Make sure family members coordinate their outfits to create a cohesive look without being overly matchy-matchy.
3. Add Movement with Flowy Clothing: To infuse a sense of movement and playfulness into your photos, consider clothing items that flow. Flowy skirts, dresses, and scarves can add a dynamic element to your shots, especially when there's a gentle breeze. For children, dresses, skirts, cardigans, and lightweight pants are excellent choices to capture their youthful energy and create natural movement in the photos.
4. Mix Textures for Depth: Combining different textures in your clothing choices can add depth and visual interest to your family photos. Consider pairing smooth fabrics like cotton or silk with textured ones like corduroy, knitwear, or denim. This combination adds dimension to your outfits and makes them visually appealing in the photos.
5. Pay Attention to Footwear: Don't forget about shoes! In fall, footwear should be both stylish and functional. Boots are an excellent choice as they keep feet warm and add a rustic touch to your family's look. Go for closed-toe shoes that complement your outfits and provide comfort for long walks during the photoshoot.
6. Accessorize Thoughtfully: Accessories can elevate your family's fall photo outfits. Scarves, hats, and statement jewelry can add a touch of personal style and flair to your look. Just remember to keep it balanced; a few well-chosen accessories can enhance your outfits without overwhelming the overall composition.
7. Prioritize Comfort: Above all, ensure that everyone feels comfortable in their chosen attire. Uncomfortable clothing can result in awkward poses and expressions. Kids, in particular, should be dressed in clothes that allow them to move freely and enjoy the experience. Comfortable family members are more likely to look relaxed and natural in the photos.
Dressing for family photos can seem stressful! By layering clothing for versatility, embracing earthy tones, adding movement with flowy attire, mixing textures, and paying attention to details like footwear and accessories, you'll create a timeless collection of family photos that capture the essence of this beautiful season. Don't be afraid to reach out with questions, I also have some great local boutiques I love to recommend!
So, wrap up warm, embrace the colors of autumn, and lets capture some lasting memories with your loved ones amidst the breathtaking fall backdrop.